As the nation’s leading pro-choice advocacy group, NARAL Pro-Choice America is dedicated to protecting and expanding reproductive freedom for all Americans, including abortion access.
NARAL, along with our more than one million members from all 50 states and a network of state affiliates, works to guarantee that each woman has access to the full range of reproductive healthcare. This means we’re on the front lines in the fight to expand access to abortion, make contraception more affordable, prohibit discrimination against pregnant women, and ensure all parents have access to paid leave. In recognition of our work defending these basic rights, Fortune Magazine rated NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.”
At NARAL, we don’t operate or litigate; we organize and mobilize. Working together, we push our friends to be bolder, lift up the champions fighting with us for true reproductive freedom, and shine a spotlight of accountability on bad actors who work to impose their ideological agenda on us all.
The state director will be responsible for organizing around the power of reproductive freedom for NARAL Pro-Choice America through at least 2020. With the number of attacks on reproductive freedom at an all-time high, it is essential to identify, educate, and mobilize a new generation of repro-activists to engage in the political process and bring true reproductive equality to America.
The ideal candidate will be an innovative, passionate, and detail-oriented self-starter that wants to continue building the Iowa presence of one of the most progressive institutions in the American political system. The position will be responsible for managing a team of organizers, establishing fundraising relationships to bolster programming, working with the national communications team to insert NARAL in the discussion around moving Iowa forward for women and families, and working closely with the NARAL Iowa Steering Committee to strategically inject NARAL into political and legislative fights–particularly in the context of the 2020 presidential election.
- Work directly with the existing membership to identify organizing, political, and communication opportunities and develop plans and strategies that capitalize on those.
- Build on existing institutional partnerships and develop new progressive allies to further reproductive freedom across Iowa.
- Conduct extensive 1-on-1 meetings with members, donors, electeds, electoral candidates, and other influential Iowans to build capacity and increase the presence of NARAL’s brand.
- Develop trainings for activists to become engaged with NARAL on campaigns and become leaders in their communities.
- Manage organizers to achieve goals and ensure program metrics are being met. Includes the operation of a c3 educational canvass and a c4 political canvass.
- Communicate with and maintain the Iowa Steering Committee and engage them in all aspects of programming.
- Breakdown of work will be approximately:
- Political and membership organizing – 20%: Creating and implementing strategies to engage members in relevant NARAL campaigns through community events, 1-on-1 meetings and utilizing phone; mail, and online communications to grow and activate reproductive freedom advocates. This work will include organizing around legislative fights, political campaigns, and opportunities at all levels of government.
- Staff management- 45%: Managing a team of organizers and fellows throughout Iowa. The organizers and fellows will be working to execute our membership, political, and legislative goals.
- Communications – 25%: Collaborate with the communications team to develop Iowa specific collateral and cultivate strategic media relationships;
- Development – 10%: Work with the development team to create and deliver meaningful fundraising information to key donors and strategic partners.
- B.A./B.S. or relevant experience with demonstrated interest in community organizing, politics, and reproductive rights.
- At least 10 years as an organizer with documented success.
- One full cycle of political campaign experience while managing staff
- Knowledge of c3 and c4 non-profit rules a definite plus
- Exemplary communication skills a must, including writing, proofreading and public speaking with a wide range of audiences and in diverse environments.
- Understanding of all successful campaign elements from organizing to fundraising to communications – working knowledge of state legislative process a definite plus.
- Highly organized, self-starter that is detail-oriented and metrics driven.
- High level of computer literacy with VAN & NGP experience strongly preferred.
Desired Skills & Attributes
- Familiarity with grassroots organizing strategies
- Ability to build strong interpersonal relationships
- Success at keeping multiple projects organized
- Flexibility to work weekends/evenings
- Ability to travel
To apply for this position, please send a resume, cover letter and 3 professional references to:
Email to: email@example.com
Subject line: Iowa State Director
NARAL Pro-Choice America does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.